Ausable River 3/8 & 3/9 3/15 & 3/16

Rivers and streams of Michigan. You may want to include in your report the date you fished, water temperature, flow rate, water conditions, effective baits or fly patterns, fish saught, fish caught, total time fishing and was it fair, good or excellent. Fish On!

Moderators: Baetis, Salmon'n'Steelhead Addict

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 am

Ausable River 3/8 & 3/9 3/15 & 3/16

Hi yall its been a while ive been trying to get on but has been down! well here we go starting with friday 3/8 i headed up on thrusday the 7th to my place in oscoda with the gf she wanted to hook some chromers so we headed up got up late thurs nite after stoppin at bass pro and then in cabelas outpost in saginaw (not very impresssed with the place) but anyway arrived at the cabin got there nearly midnight so we called it and woke around 530 met a guy jon ive been in contact with on another fourm. We fished mostly upriver all morning first stop my gf sam hit a lil 3lb buck landed it on spawn bag as i was still rigging up she made her second cast and again hooked up with another 2-3lb buck, she was in awe. anyways i finally get rigged make a few drifts with nothing to show and i move downstream a ways with jon we were working some lumber and i hear sam yelling i got a big one she cast hooked and landed all on her own probably a 8-9lb heavy wintered up a bit buck. as the day goes on i ended up going 1-4 with a 3lb buck ending that friday as sam went 4-5 she got another small skipper hen. we headed in that day around 1pm and we stopped got some lunch at desi's and headed back to the cabin to take a nap as we didnt get much sleep the night before weather that day was somewhat overcast and around 35degrees. we planned on going out that evening but did not wake up in time. Then Next morning i woke up asked her if she wanted to go out but little did i know she stayed up watching a show we just got into all night long so i left her to sleep headed out got to river around 7 i worked a middle area of river for a hr or 2 and ended up 0-2 on 2 bright hens probably 8-9lb range. headed up river aways and the sun came out and i litterally had a fish almost every cast. ended up 4-8 that saturday am with temps around 35-36. As i was driving back downstate i told myself im gonna head up next weekend. So then on the 15 i got out of work early and headed up around noon. My cousin that lives up there met me at the cabin around 330 we hit the river and bang bang double hook up in our first stop landed 2 back to back 3lb bucks. hit some other spots upriver and caught a few suckers and a small walleye we decided to hit a honey hole for the final evening shift and i ended up 2-4 with a nice 12lb hen i kept she had loose eggs as he went 2-6 on the day. the next morning we woke and mother nature was in full force as she dumped about 3 in on us overnight and didnt let up all day as a matter of fact we hit the river with a little more people out and the pressure was on the fish were skiddish at first but becoming more cold as the day went on the calmed we hit a few spots in the am and went 3-3 with a nice 9lb hen and 5&6lb bucks.
the evening shift wasnt as fun for me as we got to our spot i slipped on a log and face planted in the river with temps never reaching above freezing all day i managed to stick it out for about a hr and a half and i couldnt take it anymore ended 2-7 with alot of missed opportunities the fish were heading straight for wood after being barbed. Water temp near 33 both weekends but actually some fish gave some acrobatic aerials which i didnt think was going to happen with the cold water. Did manage to land and release a nice 13lb buck that evening though.
Attachments
phpZIqmznAM.jpg
9lb Hen
phpZIqmznAM.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
php33IxvGAM.jpg
13lb Buck
php33IxvGAM.jpg (34.36 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
phpUEkFU5AM.jpg
3lb
phpUEkFU5AM.jpg (98.93 KiB) Viewed 6441 times

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Ausable River 3/8 & 3/9 3/15 & 3/16

more pics all fish taken on waxies and spawn
Attachments
phpGB7p0EAM.jpg
Sam
phpGB7p0EAM.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 6440 times
phpyb5sf6AM.jpg
River view
phpyb5sf6AM.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 6440 times
phprSBrcPAM.jpg
11lb hen
phprSBrcPAM.jpg (19.85 KiB) Viewed 6440 times

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am

more
Attachments
phpoRXnTiAM.jpg
road
phpoRXnTiAM.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 6440 times
phpYVTYl3AM.jpg
Sam
phpYVTYl3AM.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 6440 times

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

awesome story and nice catches!!!

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Great report and story and with wonderful pics to recreate the experience. Nice job!
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers
"Go W/ The Drift and Fish On!"

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Great report! I will be getting up there very soon, maybe next weekend. I always get outfished by my wife, and she will NEVER let me forget it, but its fun to see them catching fish. I am glad to hear the river is FINALLY back to where it should be with numbers and size of fish, its been a long time since you could hook more than two fish a day, let alone an afternoon. Great pics, keep them coming!

Return to Michigan Rivers Report