Tonights Starting Topic: 6/22/10

Serving up any topic related to fishing. Meet here at 8:00 P.M. every night to create topics, expand them, and comment on them. Please keep your topics in good taste. Bon Appetit!

Moderator: Baetis

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Tonights Starting Topic: 6/22/10

Slot Limits on trout in Paint Creek. Yeah or Nay? The benefit, the negative impacts, the positive impacts, etc. Please voice your opinion!
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers
"Go W/ The Drift and Fish On!"

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 pm

I have been told from someone I would consider to be a very reliable source that the particular strain of Brown in paint creek does not breed until the reach an average of 12.8 inches. That being said, if we want to encourage natural reproduction, lets set a slot which protects the breeders. My suggestion would be a 2 fish limit and a slot fish (perfect dinner for 2). 2 fish over 14", and 1 fish and one with purchase of a bonus tag any fish over 12".

My though would be it would protect the fish capable of natural reproduction and allow anglers the bonus of taking a third fish for a nominal fee. This fee would be collected and the funding would go directly into that watershed conservation budget. The intention would be to to use these funds for stocking and habitat improvements to allow larger fish to mature faster and improve natural reproduction in the stream.

Return to The Fish Dish