Tonights Starting Topic: 9/1/09

Serving up any topic related to fishing. Meet here at 8:00 P.M. every night to create topics, expand them, and comment on them. Please keep your topics in good taste. Bon Appetit!

Moderator: Baetis

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Tonights Starting Topic: 9/1/09

Increase in trash along the river banks during salmon season. What must be done to control this?
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers
"Go W/ The Drift and Fish On!"

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:53 pm

STOP PLANTING SALMON & plant Lake run browns.

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Explain please!
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:12 am

If the trash leavers have no reason to be on the rivers then their won't be any trash left.
If there's no salmon to snag then their won't be any snaggers.

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 am

Good point!
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Those of us that care about the trash could just start carrying a big stick with us on the river to use when we see people littering. lol

Seriously though, stopping the planting of salmon would not be a good thing economically for our state. I believe that further our efforts on educating the general public will go a long way to help prevent all the trash. We'll never fix it completely cause there will always be slobs out there.

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 pm

litter

I hate garbage as much as the next guy like when you get tripped up in some 50lb test line, ya know, its a very good steelhead and salmon line. But pick up some garbage everytime your out, I know it seems like your picking up after these rats but hey if we don't who will????????
The best head is Steelhead!!!!!

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:55 am

Down here in Ohio we have "River Clean Up Days" on our local waters, and quite a few people show up and walk the river(s) cleaning up trask along the shorelines. This usually takes place in Sept. or Oct.

Myself, I always carry a couple plastic grocery bags in my pack, and I pick up stuff as I fish.
If I'm fishing and I see another angler dropping trash I will walk over, pick up their trash... and hand it to them as I say " I think you dropped something".
I usually get a funny look, sometimes a dirty look... but they take their trash from me.
This enforces the idea that you need to clean up after yourself!

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Great idea about handing a slob his trash. I can be done, but being having a little tact is important.

The mention of the River Clean Up Day is a good thing. Check out the CRWC section of the Forum for the date and contact information on this falls September Clinton River Clean Up if you are interested in taking part.

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 pm

shoot them. :shock:

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:09 am

GobyOneGnoby wrote:shoot them. :shock:

If we were in Dodge City and this was the mid 1800's ... I'd carry two guns! :lol:

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:13 am

clintoncarpguide wrote:Great idea about handing a slob his trash. I can be done, but being having a little tact is important.

I'm not very tactful when dealing with ignorance.
I'm blunt and too the point, and not very polite in doing so.
An adult should know better, and if they don't I'll be more than happy to give them a lesson or two in etiquette.

It would be funny to follow someone home and dump the stuff they dropped along the river in their own front yard.

Tight lines!

Return to The Fish Dish