Topic for 8-29......................

Serving up any topic related to fishing. Meet here at 8:00 P.M. every night to create topics, expand them, and comment on them. Please keep your topics in good taste. Bon Appetit!

Moderator: Baetis

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Topic for 8-29......................

In a magazine that I get there is an article " It's all about the Grab" and in the opening paragraph it reads; "Trying to put into words how we feel for salmon and steelhead fishing would be a broad and virtually endless task". So I as you..................What keeps you heading back for that "Grab"?
The best head is Steelhead!!!!!

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:36 pm

for me...............

What keeps me coming back? I would have to say it’s the fight of that fresh steelhead, those lighting fast, reel screaming runs when you hook one of those bad boys, or maybe it’s the sweet aroma of spawn that been rubbed into my waders all season or just having some time on the creek, river, or lake with some of the best friends you’ll ever find. None the less, for sure is the daunting task of searching for that trophy steelhead that everyone wants, the one that people dream of, the one that people have nightmares of, the one that people lose sleep over, the one you’ll tell stories about to your kids, your kids kids, when you get word of the runs starting and you call off sick from work with salmon fever from the fish flu. That’s what it’s all about for me.
The best head is Steelhead!!!!!

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Topic for 8-29......................

firemedic787 wrote:In a magazine that I get there is an article " It's all about the Grab" and in the opening paragraph it reads; "Trying to put into words how we feel for salmon and steelhead fishing would be a broad and virtually endless task". So I as you..................What keeps you heading back for that "Grab"?

I call it the "take & shake".
The take of the float under & the headshake I feel when I set the hook. That's what does it for me. Knowing I did everything right.
I guess it's the personal satisfaction I get knowing what I accomplished.
It was me against the fish. He didn't have to figure me out I had to 'convince" him that what was coming at him was something he wanted to eat. Or atleast taste.
I especially enjoy it when it's a float I made & a jig or fly I made.
It's not nor has ever been a numbers game for me. I get way more enjoyment looking back over a season at 5 fish days in jan/ feb than I do 20 fish days in april. I like the challenging days.
Only thing better ( IMO) is figuring out a mature whitetail.

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:25 am

I'll go with power, strength and speed. It's like hanging on to a freight train that's dragging you to the next station. The rush of adreleine (?) makes it all worth it and keeps me comingback for more.

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 am

For me it is the reward of the hookup after putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. The "surprise" of the float going under after making a drift through an area that looks like it has to have a fish waiting for my presentation. The camaraderie of sharing this experience with friends old and new and continuing to introduce others to the "addiction". Also challenging myself to use new techniques and situations and finding success makes the "take and shake" all the sweeter :wink:

Return to The Fish Dish