Tonights Starting Topic: 2/8/09

Serving up any topic related to fishing. Meet here at 8:00 P.M. every night to create topics, expand them, and comment on them. Please keep your topics in good taste. Bon Appetit!

Moderator: Baetis

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Tonights Starting Topic: 2/8/09

What is your favorite fish species to pursue and why? The best answer here will win a framed photo of their trophy fish caught. All details concerning this prize will be discussed with the winner. Feel free to be creative in your answers as we will hand pick the best answer to award this gift to. Good luck and Have Fun!
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers
"Go W/ The Drift and Fish On!"

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 pm

My favorite species of fish to pursue would most certainly have to be the Steelhead trout. Being from Northeastern Ohio (Steelhead Alley) definitely helps me in my pursuit. I would have to say it is my favorite for several reasons, some of which are: Scenic Rivers, tranquility, abundance of fish to catch, and fewer anglers’ in the later part of the season… and it gives me something to do in the winter months.
The aesthetic beauty of the fish I catch is just an added bonus.

Pursuing Steelhead is not only extremely fun, but it is also quite rewarding. Since they aren’t the easiest species too catch you often have to match wits with the fish. Several different techniques are employed to persuade the wary Steelhead in to biting, or taking your offering. The difference between a good day on the water and a great day on the water is the anglers’ ability to adapt, and figure out what the fish are willing to eat.

The winter months also add another variable; Safety!
Fishing for Steelhead in the winter months often creates the situation of Shelf-Ice, and Anchor ice. Shelf Ice occurs at the rivers’ edge, and is certainly not safe to walk on under any circumstance.
Anchor Ice is caused by the temperature of the water getting so cold that ice forms on the bottom of the river. If the water is shallow enough it is visible to the angler from shore. If the water is deep enough that the bottom of the river can’t be seen; the anchor ice can offer the unsuspecting angler quite a surprise!

The gear used for Steelhead is also quite unique to the species. It is the only fish I have ever fished for in Ohio that requires a longer (11 to 15 foot) rod. You don’t have to have one, but it does make mending your line and hooking distant fish much easier. Waders are also a must to navigate the rivers in the winter, as you will get wet otherwise. Keeping dry and warm is a must, and this is the best technique to ensure your comfort.

I do fish for several other species in Northeast Ohio during the spring, summer and fall, but by far, the winter time Steelhead is my species of choice. It all just makes me happy :)

Here is a picture of the prettiest fish I think I've ever landed in Ohio:
Last edited by SumpinWong on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:37 pm

I would have to say steelhead as well. I moved to Florida for 2 years and enjoyed learning how to catch redfish, grouper, and snook, but always missed fishing for steel.

I think there are a number of factors that contribute to this: the ease of throwing on some waders and stepping into the arena, the many different techniques at your disposal, watching the float submerge and knowing the battle has begun, and unlocking the puzzle to determine where the fish are and what they prefer to bite on that day.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Steelhead, short sweet and simple. You can opine about the beauty of the river and its surroundings. Sometimes there's solitude and often there is chaos. It's all about the hookup and fight. Adrenilen courses through your body and the rush is pure steel. The best part of the contest is winning and then sending that beautiful creature back from whence it came to fight another day. Can it get any better?????

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Favorite fish

I will have to agree that steelhead are by far my favorite, but I have to say that after having some health issues I have really learned to adapt my approach to whatever is in the area and I can appreciate my time more. I have really started looking @ the overall picture as a whole and decided I like to fish rivers better than lakes, but species I leave open to timing.
"Friends are like butt cheeks, crap may seperate them but they always come back together"

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:31 pm

Bluegills, It was the first fish I caught and the one I fish for the most. They can be easy to catch for my kids and put up a pretty good fight on a light flyrod. As far as eating, I would say their isn't a better tasting fish out there.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:44 pm

I dont know if i really have a favorite. I love to fish any species.

I do like fishing for Largemouth Bass though. I like the blast of adrenaline you get when a big bass slams your bait. I like fishing them because there is a big variety of baits i can use to catch them. In clear water where i'm standing on the shore and can see far down i like to bottom bounce a worm around and watch a bass come out of the weeds and GULP! fish on. I can catch them on a night crawler using a bobber and still get a fun fight out of them. I think my favorite way to fish for Largemouth is with a live frog using a fly rod. I tie a regular hook on my fly line and hook a medium sixe frog on it. Gently cast it out and let him sit. You'll see the frog at the surface of the water moving around and suddenly a big splash and you'll have a fight there.
Also the colors of the fish are cool. I like the green on them. But i like the black markings on them the best. They look sweet.
Finally fishing in the spring and summer for them is my favorite. I like fishing in good weather. Also i like to fish for bass when the cattails, lily pads are up and i can use techniques to cast under the weeds and lure them largemouths out.

Its just awesome.

Kodeman
Git-R-Done

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Mine would have to be walleye, I love going to port huron and fishing off the wall for them. It is the first place my husband took me fishing and the first fish that I have ever caught. There is nothing better than sitting with the people you love to hang out with and all of a sudden hearing the bell go off. I love running as fast as I can to reel the eye in. You can go to port huron for the eyes from May-nov and thats another reason I love fishing for them because you can go alot during the year.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:50 am

Favroite

Being from the metro Detroit area streams are kind of limited so as they say when life gives you water you fish it. I happen to hammer the living daylights out of Small Mouth on a flyrod. I can go out from April until October and float for these bad boys. In the flats 3-4 pounders are average, I can Guarantee 5-6lb Smallies all day long.

Now as it happens the Ice satrts to melt in late March and there isnt anything better than site fishing for hungry Pike. I can be running slowly across a flat and the Pike will swim right up to the boat and pass it. Dont get me started on Fly casting for Muskie (as I have yet to perfect it)

A day out on the flats is almost like being in Florida except for the fact that the water is 40 degrees and the wind is just above freezing.....

Thats what I love!!!

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 am

These are all GREAT answers! We could not limit it down to one specific person to award the framed picture to. We are therfore going to put all participants names in a drawing to win this prize. Stay Tuned for announced winner!
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:52 am

The 'Fish Dish' Winner

Congratulations to: Danyel_L1789 for winning a rustic framed picture of her trophy fish.
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Even though I didn't make the drawing, my favorite would have to be steel... But from here, I don't get much time to chase it. So, I gladly settle for largemouth or 'gills. I have 4 girls, so any time we can all spend together is awesome. They have all developed a love for being on the water catching fish. We've made family trips to chase steel, but they haven't hit one yet.
I'm here for the fish. Slowly step away from the honey hole.

Return to The Fish Dish