Tonights Starting Topic: 2/3/09

Serving up any topic related to fishing. Meet here at 8:00 P.M. every night to create topics, expand them, and comment on them. Please keep your topics in good taste. Bon Appetit!

Moderator: Baetis

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Tonights Starting Topic: 2/3/09

This is a free for all folks. Please start a topic of your choice here and let see if we can get some follow up comments!
Site Administrator
Woodland Rivers
"Go W/ The Drift and Fish On!"

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:55 pm

FISHING TAX?????

Here in New York the govenor is considering a Trout and Salmon stamp. If you fish for any of these species there will be an additional $10 stamp you will need to purchase along with your fishing license. As a Great Lakes (Ontario) fisherman I am only in favor of this stamp if the revenue it generates will go directly into the fishing program to upgrade hatcheries, habitat or Law enforcement. What do you think?
Lou

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Here in Michigan as far back as I have needed a license, you always have to buy a trout stamp. They cost the same as a regular license 15 dollars. So in order to steelhead or trout fish your license costs 30 dollars.(for residents) I really don't know where the monies go but I would think alot of it would go towards stocking fish.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:46 pm

abovee96 wrote:Here in Michigan as far back as I have needed a license, you always have to buy a trout stamp. They cost the same as a regular license 15 dollars. So in order to steelhead or trout fish your license costs 30 dollars.(for residents) I really don't know where the monies go but I would think alot of it would go towards stocking fish.

michigan out of doors mag. did a article about license dollars go about a last year (jan 08) issue its kind of interesting. has a couple pie charts and breaks it all down.
Tight lines, strong knots and dry socks.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

I totally agree though I do think that the money from the stamp and regular fishing license should go to the fishing program in the state it was puchased in. I know while fishing at the st. Clair river they should help clean some of the waters there is always paper on the lines :x

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:54 pm

fishing license in Michigan

I agree, I don't know where are money goes any more, The DNR/State seems to do less and less with more and more. Maybe we need to become more like Texas or some states out west and pay to fish more private areas. Michigan does have the countries 5th largest amount of public lands, but we seem to get less from it every year. What to do?
Friend of the Clinton River System

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 am

trout stamp

Like everybody said, here in michigan we needed it ever since ican remember but where does the money go? I know one thing this is a sore subject, I am a bear hunter , I hunt with hounds, just for anyone riding with you while I am, running my hounds they have to have a participation permit . Same cost as a regular permit, just to watch. Where does that money go? How are we suppose to get the young people interested in the great outdoors, with all these permits. If the money stays with the DNR fine. But what is the truth? Probaly should not have commented on this one!

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:15 pm

I live in Ohio, and we don't have "Trout Stamps", or anything of the sort when it comes to fishing. I would be more than happy to pay an additional $10 for a trout stamp if it meant; better access, more stocking, and improvements to other conservation efforts regarding the fisheries.

Don't get me wrong, Ohio does a decent job... but there is always room for improvement!

Tight lines,

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: trout stamp

coondog wrote:Like everybody said, here in michigan we needed it ever since ican remember but where does the money go? I know one thing this is a sore subject, I am a bear hunter , I hunt with hounds, just for anyone riding with you while I am, running my hounds they have to have a participation permit . Same cost as a regular permit, just to watch. Where does that money go? How are we suppose to get the young people interested in the great outdoors, with all these permits. If the money stays with the DNR fine. But what is the truth? Probaly should not have commented on this one!

Not any more fella.

Return to The Fish Dish